Known for her meticulously-composed realism, Erin Cone distills the emotion of traditional figurative painting into abstracted compositions, for a bold vision all her own. After graduating with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Painting and working briefly in the design industry, Cone had her first solo show at the age of 24 and has been painting full-time ever since. From the beginning, Cone's paintings have captured a unique fusion of aesthetics — combining the evocative detail of magical realism with the simplicity of minimal abstraction to create something completely new.
Since her first show in 2001, Cone has had twenty-two solo shows and participated in more than a dozen group shows across the U.S. and in Europe, consistently enjoying critical and commercial success for her unconventional approach to figurative realism. She has twice been recognized in the national art press as a top emerging artist, has been interviewed on PBS, and has been featured in numerous art magazines — appearing on the cover of American Art Collector Magazine and Southwest Art Magazine, among others. Cone's work is in hundreds of private, public and corporate collections throughout the U.S., Europe and Asia. She lives with her husband and daughter in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
I emphasize visual impact over narrative context, focusing on the subtle orchestration of my subject within a framework of design. I create a deliberate push-and-pull between near-photorealistic detail and my own vocabulary of visual glitches that challenge that very realism. This duality is central to my work and allows the figures I paint to remain wholly representational while functioning abstractly — evoking emotion without defining it.
- American Art Collector, October 2015
- Fine Art Connoisseur, June 2015
- Santa Fean Magazine, December 2014/January 2015
- American Art Collector, October 2014
- L'Artiste Magazine, September 2014
- American Art Collector, October 2013
- The Artist's Magazine, October 2013
- Nova Magazine, June 2013
- Architectural Digest Magazine, July 2012
- Oxford American Magazine, June 2012
- MYP Magazine, April 2012
- American Art Collector, May 2011
- New American Paintings (Vol. 90), Oct/Nov 2010
- Poets and Artists Magazine, August 2010; Cover artist »
- American Art Collector Magazine, June 2010
- Southwest Art Magazine's Sept. 2008 Emerging Artist issue as a "Success Story"; Cover artist »
- Art Calendar Magazine, January 2008; Cover artist »
- American Art Collector Magazine, October 2006; Cover artist »
- Marin Magazine, October 2006
- Southwest Art Magazine's November 2005 – “Face Time: Artist’s Self-portraits”
- Art & Antiques Magazine’s Summer 2005-2006 Insider’s Guide
- Santa Fean Magazine's June 2005 Special Art Issue as one of Santa Fe's "Five Artists to Watch"
- Southwest Art Magazine's September 2003 "21 Under 31" - as one of the top 21 emerging artists